slideshow widget

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Discharge = Serevent, Admitted = Preventolin

Dr. Marilyn strolled into the RT Cave with a pleasant deportment. She said, "Hey, Rick. How's it going?"

"Wonderful!" I said.

"So how are the kids?"

"Awesome."

As she read her EKGs I told her a funny story about something my daughter did, and she shared a story or two of her own. Then somehow the conversation switched to a patient with COPD (imagine that).

I said, "Yeah, she's doing excellent. Maybe we could take her off treatments."

She said, "Well, I was thinking we ought to keep those treatments going so we can prevent bronchospasm. I thought that would be a good idea."

Doh! I tried.

I suppose this is a perfect example of why we often call Ventolin Preventolin.

I wanted to ask her why she didn't simply order Serevent, which is what the patient will get when she gets home to prevent her from needing Ventolin.

So, I suppose the Real Doctor's Creed must say something about Serevent not working within the walls of a hospital. Hey, why else would one of our better docs believe this BS?

Later on that night I called the physician who gave me a copy of the Real Creed, and he directed me to page 767 of the Real Physician's Creed where it states :
Serevent is a the recommended medicine to prevent bronchospasm. However, if a patient is admitted, Serevent must be discharged, and Preventolin ordered Q4 hours and prn. If questioned by ignorant RTs, the correct response is: Ventolin prevents.
No further explanation was given.

No comments: