slideshow widget

Friday, August 21, 2009

Three ways to deal with stupid policy, orders

In no institution -- hospitals included -- are things run perfectly. So, when management -- or RT bosses -- implement policies that are stupid, or refuse to implement requested changes, or doctors write stupid orders, there are three ways to deal with this:
  1. Complain
  2. Accept
  3. Change

I can't think of any other options. I suppose, here at the RT Cave, we do a little of each. I suppose, in a sense, with my RT humor, I tend to complain in my own way here on this blog.

However, by keeping my mouth shut, I suppose, in a way, I'm accepting the status quo. I guess it's easier that way. Come in, do whatever work is required of you, and go home. Do it that way and there's no controversy, no confrontation.

I guess you can say, in this way, being an RT is no different than working in a factory. Only, instead of soldering two wires together, we are taking care of patient. And, instead of standing still, we are running around like chickens with our heads chopped off doing trivial therapies that suck more money from unaware businesses and government services.

And, then, on occasion we find the energy to implement change. Yet, the effort to do that, the setbacks, the rejections, the changes to the protocols you want, lead acceptance the easiest route.

Now I'm just making this up, but it makes sense to me. What do you think?

No comments: