slideshow widget

Friday, July 18, 2008

Be silent and you will not jinx yourself

I knew I shouldn't have said it when I did say it, but the need to gloat was sitting their in the back of my throat. I should have resisted, but I just couldn't.

"Do I need to tell you what happened to me last night?"

"What? she said.

"You know, I'd hate to jinx you by telling you how this beeper treated me last night," I said, as I grabbed the thing from my pocket and proffered it to my relief.

"Maybe you better not. I don't want you to jinx me." She grabbed the cold object and stuffed it into her pocket.

I don't want to jinx myself either. "Oh, but I feel like I need to gloat."

"I don't even want to know." She was smiling.

You know. I know you know. "Not only did ER not page, this thing never even went off at all last night."

"You bum."
------------------------

Twelve hours later, the tide had turned

"You bum," she said as I sauntered into the department sleepy eyed.

"What?" I said.

"You jinxed me. It was nice for a while, but then all shit hit the fan. I've been in and out of ER all day."

"Then I jinxed myself too."

I've been in ER all night.

And this brings us to RT Cave Rule # 28:
RT Cave Rule #28: If you are having an exceptionally good night at work, do not gloat about it. Not only will you jinx the incoming RT, you will jinx yourself. If you are having a good night, do not mention it lest the good night will end.
This is just one of many RT superstitions (for more, click here.)

That, my fellow RTs, is the RT thought of the day.

No comments: