slideshow widget

Thursday, February 21, 2008

I've learned to keep my mouth shut

I walked down to ER just now to do an EKG and found out there were three of them. So I set out to do them when a nurse's assistant asked me if she could do them for me, "I want some practice," she said.

"Cool," I said. "Do you need me to help you?"

"No. I just want some practice, that's all." She smiled brightly.

This was awesome. Instead I leaned on the counter by the nurses station and listened to the political talk. One thing I've learned in my 10 years here is that RNs and doctors sure aren't shy about talking about politics.

"I'm trying to find something to do my thesus on," Milhouse said.

"I have a good idea what would make a great thesus," Sarah said.

"Well, give it to me."

"I think that instead of the government letting people come to the ER for free they should make them pay two dollars. That way they'd think twice about coming in here."

"It's true we treat a lot of useless stuff here."

"I mean, most of these people can afford cigarettes and beer, so why wouldn't they be able to afford two bucks for health care." She smiled wryly and looked around the room as though hoping no unintended ears were open.

"Amen!" I said, softly enough so that no one heard me. The conversation went on, and despite how bad I wanted to participate, I just stood there.

I've learned to listen and not participate to these types of discussions around here. I put in my 10 cents into a conversation in ER the last election cycle, and I had one of the nurses in tears.

Trust me, I didn't mean to. I didn't say anything bad about her, I would never do that. I was just stating my opinion. I was just having fun.

I've learned to keep my lips sealed and just listen, unless I know the poeple I'm talking with and know they are cool about discussing politics. Some people, however, are sensitive to politics, and I don't want to be the one to tick them off, especially when I have to work with these people.

And for that reason I try to keep my mouth shut. The key word is try.

RT Cave Rule #38: You're better off not discussing politics or religion at work unless you know the people around you agree with you, or can handle the discussion. If there is even one person present you're not familiar with, then don't discuss these topics period.

1 comment:

icanseeclearlynow said...

oh i am SOO0 with you on keeping my mouth shut. people don't really want to hear your voice unless you agree with them. human nature i guess.

:)

maria