slideshow widget

Monday, January 18, 2021

COVID-19 has benefited me

So many people have suffered due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The irony of it is that it has benefited me immensely. I just thought I'd make a list here of ways I have benefited.
  1. Our profession has gained lots of good press. 
  2. Before COVID there was talk of cutting RT jobs at my work. Now there is plenty of work and our jobs are very secure.
  3. So we no longer get sent home early due to low census
  4. There has also been lots of overtime for those who choose to take it
  5. I am an introvert, so it didn't bother me to stay at my house. It's where I prefer to be.
  6. I have two jobs, and both of them did well through the pandemic. So I was able to make plenty of money.
  7. Plus I received 2 stimulus checks even though I am still working and really didn't need them. But, I suppose, it is my payment for the added risk of being a front-line worker.
  8. Because of the stimulus checks, I was able to speed up fully funding my emergency fund. Plus I am probably going to be able to buy a new car much sooner than I expected. 
  9. Thanks to the additional money that came due to covid, we had a very nice Christmas at my house. 
  10. The stock market crashed due to COVID. And I lost a lot of money. But I was in a spot to max out my retirement when stocks were low. And as a result, I almost doubled my retirement in a short period of time. 
  11. I met a girl during the pandemic. And I dated her during the pandemic. The funny thing is, we met during the first lockdown when pretty much everything was closed. We met when everyone was told to stay home. Glad we didn't obey. 
  12. While I do have severe asthma. It appears asthma is not a high-risk condition for COVID. In fact, studies seem to indicate asthma may help prevent severe complications of COVID. It may even prevent one from getting COVID in the first place. 
  13. Because of other work, this blog has sort of taken a back seat. But, COVID has given this blog new life. So, I am certainly glad to be back at it. 
  14. I just made a 14 here because I don't want to end at unlucky 13. Free food. Oh, we had had so much free food. You cannot diet in this environment. What with the burnout and all the free food. My neighbor gave me a pasta dish the other night. She said she made it to thank me for all my hard work at the hospital. Little did she know it was also my birthday and it made it so I didn't have to cook on my birthday. 
  15. Obviously, our hospital is doing well. We all got $500 bonus checks for Christmas. 
  16. I did not get COVID despite being in rooms with COVID positive people. I do believe I walked into rooms accidentally with just a surgical mask on. Once I entered a room without my goggles on. And I'm sure I inhaled COVID through my eyes. I had unmasked exposure to it more than once. And, yet, I was lucky to never get it. 
  17. I was the first in my area to get the COVID-19 vaccine. So, I got my picture taken for posterity purposes. I was interviewed and made all the local papers. So, that's a benefit too I think.
  18. I have still had plenty of social contacts. I have seen my parents, brothers, sister, and girlfriend pretty much any times I have wanted, despite the lockdowns. Sure, we may take more precautions, but it has not stopped us from getting together. 
So, it's been an interesting past year. So many have suffered. I have personally watched people suffer. I have taken care of them. But, the fact I am a front-line worker has me reaping the benefits of a pandemic. 

No comments: