slideshow widget

Saturday, January 15, 2011

A better vocabulary improves communication

I've always enjoyed learning new vocabulary words. Every day I try to find a new word by some means, either from a dictionary, something I've read or by conversation. I think it's neat to study words and learn their origin and meaning. I usually find that by learning one word I improve my use of the words I already know.

Actually, I use some of the words I learn in my daily life, but not all. And the goal isn't to complicate the way I communicate, yet just the opposite. The point by using better vocabulary is to make communication easier. The point is to use pithy sentences.

That is how an improved vocabulary is described in this post over at Litemind.com. The article notes that, "the point of having a good vocabulary is being able to choose words with greater precision."

A vocabulary adds to your toolbox of wisdom. The article notes:
" Think of your vocabulary as your “communication toolbox”: every word is a tool, ready to be used at the right time. The more tools you master, the better your chances are of finding the right one for the communication task at hand.
Just pick a word and roll it around in your head for a day. If it sticks, you'll be all the smarter. Likewise, it will make you a better RT by improving your communication skills.

No comments: