slideshow widget

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas

Is it possible that we teach the wrong message by what we do on Christmas Day? I mean, Christmas was the most exciting day of the year when I was a kid.  There was nothing more exciting than waking up to all those presents under the tree.  But are we missing the point.  

My children are so excited waiting around the Christmas tree this morning at 6:30 a.m.  Their joy is unconditional.  But do they realize their parents had to sacrifice in order to give them things that will make them happy?  Will the reception of all these gifts supersede the true purpose of Christmas?   

Think of it this way: how many people are going to go bankrupt because they spent thousands of dollars on Christmas this year?  I know of one person who filed for bankruptcy this past year, and yet this Christmas she still spent thousands of dollars on material stuff for her kids.  I just don't see the value in that. Do you? 

One of my other friends emailed me this morning and told me I better have bought my wife a gift, even if it's a box of chocolates.  I wrote back: 
I can't help but see the irony in that. Jesus was the humblest man ever to live, yet to celebrate his birthday we have to buy something to keep those we love happy. That, to me, is the antithesis of what Christmas is all about.
Don't get me wrong, I love the joy brought forth when a little boy or girl opens up a gift replete with something they really want. 

Yet there will be people today who will be really unhappy because they didn't get what they wanted this Christmas. In such cases, those who truly understand the point of Christmas will be happy and thankful for the opportunity to celebrate the birth of a child who brought great joy to the world.    

RT Cave Facebook Page
Rick Frea's Facebook
RT Cave on Twitter
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments: