slideshow widget

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Will levalbuterol ever come down in price?

Your question:  Will the price of levalbuterol ever be comparable with albuterol so insurance companies will start paying for it? 

My humble answer:  I would image the patent for xopenex (levalbuterol) should be running out soon.  I know for a fact one of the makers of albuterol are ready to launch their own generic of levalbuterol.  I'm sure this will happen as soon as the xopenex patent runs out.  The price should start dropping once generics are on the market.  I don't know that levalbuterol is really any better than albuterol, yet I do see the day when levalbuterol replaces albuterol as the most popular asthma medicine.  Once the price of levalbuterol is comparable to albuterol, insurance companies will have no choice but to start paying for it, you'd think. 

No comments: