slideshow widget

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Can a methacholine test be a false negative?

Your questionCan a methacholine test be a false negative?
I have been tested for asthma, but my results came back negative. My doctor has ruled out all other possible conditions that could be a cause for my symptoms. I have all the symptoms for asthma, but they are mild. Is it possible I got a false negative because my asthma is not that severe? I did not have the 20% drop on the test, but my symptoms were present by the last vial. Confused and worried, please help!
My humble answerThere really is no difinitive test to diagnose asthma.  However, the methacholine challenge is a pretty significant indicator.  If you have a negative methacholine challenge chances are you don't have asthma.  The reason I can say this is because if you have asthma the challenge will make you short of breath, and a bronchodilator breathing treatment will make you feel better.  If none of these happen, chances are you don't have asthma.  A second opinion is always a good idea, however. 

No comments: