slideshow widget

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Should I try Xolair for my asthma?

Every day at MyAsthmaCentral.com we get lots of asthma related questions. Below are some questions I thought my readers at the RT Cave would enjoy.

Your question: I have just read several articles concerning the FDA' warning about Xolair and heart attacks etc. I am wondering if there is any additional information from Jan 2010 to present about the EXCELS Study being conducted concerning these accusations.

My wife will begin treatment with this drug next week and we are gathering information on it now in order to make our decision. She has had asthma for 34 years.

My humble answer: I'm presently not aware of any further studies regarding xolair, although I'll continue to look into it. In making your decision just keep in mind that when to use a medicine is best determined if the benefits outweigh the risks. While a medicine like Xolair has side effects, the FDA has obviously determined that the risks for many asthmatics do outweigh the risks (which are generally rare). You also should know that the FDA has to note cautions, even if they tend to scare people away from the drug. This is basically erring on the side of caution. I actually wrote a post regarding this recently (click here). While my post is about Advair, I would think the same principle would apply to other asthma meds as well. Ideally, continue your quest for wisdom, and work with your physician on making the best decision for you and your wife.If you have any further questions email me, or Visit MyAsthmaCentral.com's" Q&A section.



No comments: