slideshow widget

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The truth

The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable." James Garfield

Isn't that a great quote?

I think it is. I can think of so many great examples my head almost spins. Recently I've heard the following quotes:
  1. "I'm giving that baby 100% oxygen, I don't care what the research says." Family practitioner
  2. "That patient's CO2 is rising, give a breathing treatment to get it down." Internist
Yet, this also reminds me of another great quote from a nurse I work with:

"Don't some doctors realize what they learned in med school 20 years ago might have changed?"

Yeah. Some among us are brilliant, yet brilliance is not determined by where we get our degrees, nor that we have them at all, as there are tons of well educated people who are so dogmatic they refuse to see the truth.

They have to be exposed to it. They are exposed to it. And if they are not, it's us, and it's our kids, who will continue to suffer as a result. Because while it may make sense by 1980 wisdom to hold off oxygenating a CO2 retainer, it doesn't by 2010 wisdom.

While it may make sense to oxygenate neonates with 100% oxygen to initiate that first breath, by 2010 wisdom this may cause cancer later in life. "Well, I don't see the cancer now, so I'm going to ignore it."

That's basically what they are saying when they refuse to read the writing on the wall. Again, the truth may set you free. But first it will make you miserable.

If you're open minded it won't, but if you're closed minded it will.

2 comments:

Medical Mojave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Medical Mojave said...

Interesting post--the truth hurts, that is definitely true!

Did you see the story about Tylenol being linked to asthma???

Crazy!
MSNBC Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38690295/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/

M