Every day at MyAsthmaCentral.com we get lots of asthma related questions. Below are some questions I thought my readers at the RT Cave would enjoy.
Your question: Having troubles breathing, and dont have an inhaler, any suggestions? I am having a really hard time breathing, my inhaler is empty, i have no way to go and get another one. and id rather not run to the emergency room. i was just curious if anyone had any suggestions for me that would help my breathing, and i also believe that it is caused by my allergies. Thank You
My humble answer: So it appears you're in a rough predicament. I think I have no choice but to say that the best option for you would be to make a trip to the emergency room.
However, believe it or not I've been in a similar situation more than once in my life, and I would do one of the following, if not all:
1. Search every nook and cranny of the house for an inhaler, and pray I found one.
2. Relax. Do relaxation exercises. Try to sleep. Sometimes this helps.
3. Drink coffee. It is a mild bronchodilator and may help. It was often recommended in days of old.
4. Try something for allergies, like Claritin or Drixorol or Benadryl to attempt to resolve the allergy symptoms.
5. Diaphragmatic breathing. Breath with your stomach rather than your chest wall. Actually, this is part of #2 above.
Do not, however, use over the counter asthma medicines, especially the inhalers.
Ideally, however, you should get your lungs to the ER, and know you'd be treated with respect. And in the future, make sure you have your medicine handy. Never let it run out.
Any further questions contact me by email or click here.