slideshow widget

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Does nasal drainage cause asthma?

Every day at MyAsthmaCentral.com we get lots of asthma related questions. Below are some questions I thought my readers at the RT Cave would enjoy.

Your Question: Any truth to the rumor that chihuahuas can stave off the effects of asthma?

My humble answer: I actually heard about this a while ago, yet I'm not sure there is any scientific basis behind it. I'm sure if this were "scientifically proven" to work asthma doctors would be prescribing this chihuahua therapy for asthmatics on a regular basis.

Yet we'll continue to keep an open mind. If we learn anything further about this we'll be sure to let you know.

Your Question: First time inhaler help because I don't want to OD. So, I was prescribed 2 inhalers yesterday. One is Flovent, the other albuterol. the flovent i take 1 puff 2x a day. does that mean i press the inhalor, hold my breath, wait 30 seconds and puff again? is that the equivilant of one use or 2?

My humble answer: It sounds here like you ought to get a clarification of the original doctor's order. Whether you take two puffs twice a day, or 2 puffs all at once once a day is left to your doctor. Usually, however, this medicine is taken once in the morning, and once in the evening (or twice a day).

Just as a tip here, make sure that you use a spacer when you use any inhaler, and you rinse your mouth out when you are finished. Rinsing your mouth out is important because it will prevent side effects.

For more information about how to correctly use an mdi with a spacer, click here.

Your Question: I'm wondering if my trouble breathing is caused by my sinus problems or asthma. Can you help?

My humble answer: Sometimes it's hard to determine why a person is having trouble breathing. It's also possible the 2 are interrelated. Such as it's possible a sinus infection can cause nasal drainage that can get into your lungs and irritate your asthma. I wish I could be of more help to you, but I think the real solution you are looking for is one only your doctor can answer for you. Hope things get better for you real soon.If you have any further questions email me, or Visit MyAsthmaCentral.com's" Q&A section.

1 comment:

Medical Mojave said...

Sometimes my nasal drainage can be a problem, but not always. Now it is but everything is hyper sensitive from being sick.

I have a question...I would like to learn more about atelectasis and asthma. Apparently I had atelectasis this last episode and I don't really understand its relationship to asthma and Google is not helping. Also, is this why I'm so weak/slow to recover? I can't figure out why I'm not bouncing back like I usually do.

So just in case you are looking for topics to cover :)

Thanks
M