slideshow widget

Thursday, February 4, 2010

COPD Q&A

The following are quesions sent to me from COPD patients:

Question: Is there a treatment for copious secretions? I've been given different diganoses by different doctors...COPD, asthma, chronic bronchitis.My worst symtom is copious amounts of mucous. At times I have been on 5 different meds, but none of them get rid of the mucous. Looking for any advice about natural supplements or your favorite med that helps with this. I\'m already taking mucinex, either in pill or cough syrup form. Helps, but doesn\'t get rid of it. I cough up about 1/4 cup in the morning, then it continues all day long.

My humble answer: I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. I don't know of any medicine that would remedy this.

This probably won't be any consolation, but it's not really a bad thing to be coughing up mucous. The purpose of your body generating it is to keep your lungs sterile. When bacteria and foreign materials get into your lungs mucous is formed and you generate a cough to get rid of it. This is one of many of your bodies defense mechanisms. If your body is not able to get this junk out this may result in lung infections you don't want.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from continuing your search because I want you to do that. Yet before you start taking any new medicine or remedy make sure you contact your physician before you do so.

Any further questions please inquire.

No comments: