slideshow widget

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Can third hand smoke cause asthma

Every day at MyAsthmaCentral.com we get lots of asthma related questions. Below are some questions I thought my readers at the RT Cave would enjoy.

Question: Is there an asthma medicine that does not cause tremors. Is there any astham medication out there that does not cause tremors? I am taking Symbicort and it makes me too shaky, (along with chest pain and all the other side effects) I need a steady hand for my job.

My humble answer: I hear you. I take Advair (similar to Symbicort) and Ventolin as needed and have a slight tremor as a result. Even though part of my job is drawing blood, I've managed to work around this pretty well thus far. If there was a asthma medicine that didn't have the tremor side effect I'd be the first one to try it.

You just have to decide what's more important: a steady hand or breathing well. I've decided I like to breath more, as I'm sure you will too.

That said, if you're having the side effects you're describing above from Symbicort you are best to discuss this with your physician as he may want to find an alternative medicine for you to try.

Question: If I can make myself wheeze upon forced exhalation does that mean I'm having trouble with my asthma?

My humble answer: think I understand what you are asking, and I would like to think it's perfectly normal so long as you are not having trouble breathing. In fact, I can make myself wheeze at any given time when I do that too. However, if you are concerned you might want to discuss this with your asthma doctor.

Question: Can an adult have a severe asthma attack from third hand smoke?

My humble answer: The best article I've ever read about third hand smoke is this one. I wouldn't think that third hand smoke alone would cause a severe asthma attack. However, if there was already something going on in your lungs that caused you to have increased inflammation there, I could imagine just about any of your asthma triggers, even third hand smoke, could have set it off. You have to realize that the more inflammation you have in your airways the more sensitive your lungs will be to your triggers. With asthma it is quite often difficult to know exactly what triggers an attack, or all of a sudden makes asthma worse, especially after it has been controlled for a long time.

So while I really don't have a direct answer to your question I hope the links above help.

Question: Are the different flu shots given together or given one at a time with a certain amount in between?

My humble answer: According to the CDC the flu shots can be given on the same day. If the nasal mist is used it is recommended they be given 30 days apart.

If you have any further questions email me, or Visit MyAsthmaCentral.com's" Q&A section.

No comments: