slideshow widget

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My DR. giving me the runaround. What can I do?

Every day at MyAsthmaCentral.com we get lots of asthma related questions. Below are some questions I thought my readers at the RT Cave would enjoy.

Question: I have a weird feeling in my upper back prior to asthma attacks. Is this something to be concerned about?

My humble answer: Here is a list of common early warning signs. While most asthmatics have one or more of these sighns before an asthma attack, every asthmatic also has signs that are unique to the individual. For example, when I'm about to have an attack my chin and throat itch. One of your signs MAY be a weird feeling in your upper back. If this precedes every asthma attack you have, then this might be true for you.

Question: My tonsils are enlarged and I have nasal congestion. I want to see my doctor, but he seems to give me the runaround. What can I do? I'm now using my rescue inhaler 6-10 times a day. I also take decongestants.

My humble answer: While I can't diagnose you over the Internet, nasal congestion can drip down into the lungs and cause asthma. And, perhaps, if you work with yoru doctor on treating the nasal congestion, this might prevent your asthma episodes. Another thing to consider is what is causing your congestion. Is it something you can avoid?

Unfortunately asthma is a tricky disease this way, and it's not always easy for doctors to know exactly what to do to help you.

On a side note, you have to remember that you are the boss and your doctor is working for you. If you feel he is not living up to your expectations, you have a right to seek a second opinion or another doctor in general.

Good luck.

If you have any further questions email me, or Visit MyAsthmaCentral.com's" Q&A section.

No comments: