slideshow widget

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Two very interesting patients

Here is something interesting that I doubt happens very often.

It started out as just your typical breathing treatment. She was a 66-year-old end-stage COPD patient who was a regular. I knocked and entered the room.

In bed #1 was her room mate, a lady who looked younger and healthier than my patient. Since she was new to me, and since I was going to be in and out of the room all night, I introduced myself. "Hey, I'm Rick from RT. I'm here to annoy your room mate."

"She's a pretty nice person," the lady in bed #1 said, smiling.

I approached the more sickly looking patient in bed #2. "Hey, Mrs. Lunger, it's time for your before bed peace pipe."

"I'm ready," she said.

Banter ensued between the two very pleasant patients and myself. But that's not what made this encounter so interesting. My patient kept referring to the lady in bed one as "Mommy."

At first I never thought anything of it, just thought these two ladies just got along very well as room mates.

Later, however, as I was wrapping up the treatment and stuffing it into the bag, my patient said, "So, what do you think of my mommy. She looks pretty good, hey."

They both giggled.

I never would have guessed.

No comments: